Ruby Basics : Class
In this article, you will the learn the basics of a class and how to define them in a program. We will look at the concept of car and how to represent a car in a program.
Concept of Car
A car has attributes such as color, price, model and so on. You can exercise certain behavior such as drive, stop, turn, etc on a car.
Representing a Car
We can represent the concept of a car using a class.
A class has a class name. In this example, the class name is Car.
Defining a Class
Let's define a Car class.
class Car end
We use the class keyword followed by the class name to define a class. In this case, Car is the class name.
Representing the Behavior
We can represent the drive behavior of a car by defining a drive() method for the Car class.
class Car def drive() return 'driving' end end
The methods provide the behavior for the objects. We use the def keyword followed by the method name to define a method. The body of the method becomes the implementation.
Car Class Analogy
A Car class is like a car blueprint.
A car blueprint is used to manufacture many cars.
- A car class acts as a template used to create cars.
- A car class describes the behavior and attributes of a car.
Define a method in the Car class to stop a car.
In this article, you learned the concept of class. A class describes the behavior and attributes of a certain concept.
Ace the Technical Interview
- Easily find the gaps in your knowledge
- Get customized lessons based on where you are
- Take consistent action everyday
- Builtin accountability to keep you on track
- You will solve bigger problems over time
- Get the job of your dreams
Take the 30 Day Coding Skills Challenge
Gain confidence to attend the interview